Tuesday, May 05, 2009

What a positively bizarre day yesterday was. And by bizarre I mean fucking annoying.

It started out fairly normal. I had actually decided to do this little thing called sleep over the weekend, so I was actually awake when I got into the office yesterday morning. As such, I was pretty motivated and was actually getting a lot done. The day was made all the better when I found out in my morning manager's meeting that the 10-hour days were over unless the workload mandated it. Yay.

Then things just went to shit. It started with the power going out in half the building (but not in my half). So, half the office couldn't work. As a result, that half was bothering the half that could work, since they had nothing to do. It wasn't long before the entire building went out, and this was around 11:45 AM or so. There's a good reason to go to lunch if I've ever seen one.

After returning from lunch, the power was still out and we learned a transformer blew up somewhere close to the building. I was sitting at my desk, in the dark, just about ready to take a nap, when my boss came over and said we could go home since the power probably wasn't going to be restored until 7:00 PM that evening.

Now, you may be thinking to yourself, "You got to go home at 1:00 PM. How is this a bad day?" Oh, just wait and see.

Not long after I got home (and was relishing having 4 hours of utterly free time to myself), I got a phone call from my boss needing help with a demo that he was supposed to have this morning. My boss contacting me for help doesn't bother me, because I like my boss. Unfortunately, with the power being out in the office, I was very limited as to what I could do from home. I could dial in and get access to the network, but I couldn't access my PC since it didn't have power.

In addition to that, one of the platforms for our product wasn't working right, and it still wasn't working when I finally logged off at 9:00 PM to raid. (And still wasn't working when I checked my work email again at 1:00 AM after I finished raiding.)

So ironically, I ended up spending more hours "working" yesterday than I would have had I actually been in the office.

In addition to that, my brother stopped by last night. Now normally I wouldn't place this in the "bad day" category, but the reasons for his visit justify it being so. My mother bought a new VCR/DVD player over the weekend, and naturally asked me to hook it up for her. Which I attempted to do, but her television is very old and this new player will not connect to her old TV. (The player does not have any coaxial ports. It contains only the red/white/yellow audio/video in/out ports.)

So, I told her that I couldn't hook it up. But, I told her that her TV was very old anyway, and that I would buy her a new TV for Mother's Day (which is only a few weeks away anyway.)

But naturally, since my brother possesses infinite wisdom about all things in the universe, according to him I'm simply an idiot and don't know how to connect a VCR to a TV. Or at least that's the impression that I get, since he took it upon himself to come over and attempt to connect it himself.

Funny. He couldn't hook it up either.


No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...