Thursday, May 21, 2009

I got an iPhone. Now, before you call me trendy, first analyze the meaning of the word. At it's core, it means "adhering to the latest fad", but the deeper meaning is doing something simply because everyone else is doing it, so that you can "fit in" or "impress your friends". Given the fact that most of my friends don't even have my cell phone number, nor even know what I look like, I would consider that option to be completely in appropriate here.

Instead, I'm opting more for the "boys with toys" explanation. The thing is a pretty cool gadget.

More to the point, however, I seriously dislike talking on the phone. Oh, I'll do it when I have to, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I find it odd, then, that while I dislike that particular thing that I must do every day, I conversely do not have any issues speaking to people over a VOIP push-to-talk computer program. How bizarre. But I digress...

That leads me to my point (yes, I do have one, dammit). I was drawn to get this iPhone because of how many other options it will provide me to communicate with people that doesn't involve actually talking on the phone. Naturally, the actual "phone" part of my phone has thus far been the most underused of all the features it possesses.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

On a completely unrelated topic (though I'm sure I could somehow link them together if I tried really hard), I was noticing today as I was emptying out my inbox that so many emails I get seem to try to play into a certain weakness: loneliness. I get emails from this "classmates" website. "Steve, people are searching for you!" "Steve, you've been noticed!" Let's forget for a moment that I haven't even signed up for this website. But, how pathetic do they really think I am? It's actually insulting, in a way, to get an email like that suggesting that I'm so devoid of human interaction that I'm longing to hear from people I never liked in the first place and haven't seen in over ten years. Give me a break. I hate that kind of spam. What happened to the simple spam-mails regarding my penis? I miss those.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...