Monday, November 10, 2008

Yesterday was bad movie day. I like watching a bad movie every so often, because it renews my dream of one day being able to make my own movie. If movies this bad make it to the big screen, I can certainly come up with something better. Ok, so I'm not really serious about that. But hey, who doesn't enjoy a bad movie every now and then?

The movie I watched was entitled Event Horizon. It's a science fiction horror movie, starring two actors that I particularly like -- Laurence Fishburne and Sam Neill. The movie was released in 1997.

I decided to watch this movie after a friend of mine mentioned it to me a little while ago, stating that it was a horrible movie, but a horrible movie that you need to see once. That, coupled with the plot device of a man-made black hole (I have a fascination with black holes), led me to download the film this weekend and watch it.

The movie itself was not exactly what I was expecting. I'm actually trying to remember what I was expecting, because seeing the movie has utterly changed that idea I had about it anyway. I think I was expecting something like Alien, or a movie where the dangers of using technology you don't really understand bite you in the ass.

Instead, I was left with a very eerie sense of familiarity as I watched the film, because the events are ever so similar to that of the computer game Doom. It's uncanny.

1. Both take place in space and belong in the "science fiction horror" genre.
2. Both revolve around an experiment, which no on really understands. Said experiment then goes wrong and bad things happen.
3. Both suggest that the "other place", which is opened by the experiment, is actually Hell.
4. Both contain acts of self-mutilation, cannibalism, disemboweling, stringing humans up by creative and gory means, and insanity.
5. Both end with the survivors being found by a rescue squad.

I've also heard that the computer game Dead Space, which was released quite recently, actually follows the storyline of this movie even more closely than the movie followed Doom. Seems like a popular plot these days. Heh.

In any case, I got very little enjoyment out of the movie whatsoever, but that was the whole point.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...