Sunday, March 31, 2013

Bioshock Infinite, Night Three!

So, since I found Elizabeth, it's been pretty much all about her.  And while a lot of the standard concepts of an NPC companion are here, a lot are enhanced greatly.  For example, you never have to worry about her in a fight.  She's invincible.  She also doesn't fight.  So therein are two annoyances of companions eliminated:  Worrying about failing a mission because they die, or getting pissed because they're killing everything before you.



And, when there's no fighting going on, Elizabeth is wandering around, exploring, finding things.  She's never underfoot and never getting in the way.  And oftentimes, she will point out things of interest.  Additionally, she'll find coins and toss them to you.  I love that interaction.  More surprisingly, during one fight scene she was actually finding weapons for me and tossing them my way while I took cover.  It was brilliant.




Aside from these things, I don't have much else to report that isn't spoilery.  The game is moving along at a good pace, and I'm never finding myself bored.  It's fun as hell.  I just want to keep going, keep exploring, keep finding more out about both of these characters.  It's really interesting to me to notice that Elizabeth has single-handedly transformed this game into something different.  The rest of it is all by the numbers for a shooter.  Or, I suppose, by the numbers for a Bioshock game.  Throwing her into the formula changed the dynamic, and all for the better.




I expect, as I progress further, that I'm going to have less and less to say until the very end.  The only things I haven't touched on deal with the story, and I won't do that here.  So, don't take my brevity to mean I have nothing good to say.  Take it to mean that I have nothing I -can- say, because otherwise I'd be spoiling major parts of the game.  For the simple question of, "Is the story good?", the answer is so far, a resounding yes.




No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...