Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Most Clichéd Title in the World

I was going to make an attempt to move this blog into a new location.  A while back, probably about a year ago now or maybe a little longer, I had this blog hosted on my own website.  I preferred it that way, because it then felt like mine.  I'm sure you can relate those feelings.  However, there came a point where Blogger did a large scale upgrade to their system.  It was part of a transition, because they had been acquired by Google.  (As if Google didn't already own the entire universe.)  As such, the ability to host my blog on my own site meant that I would miss out on a ton of features that quite honestly should be standard for a blog.  So, I made the decision to host it on Blogger, and it has been ever since.

The problem is...well, that's not really a correct term to use.  It's not really a problem, per say.  It's just sort something that bothers me.  Anyway, I have my own web domain as many people probably know. I used to host the WPHPA Website on it, I have my cel gallery hosted on it, and I have quite a number of other things hosted on it.  My main, personal e-mail address also utilizes it.  Even so, I feel that it doesn't quite get as much use as it should.  Today I was having a look at all the modules I could install and use, and it's really quite impressive.  It sort of bothers me that I don't give this domain much use, considering that I do pay for it yearly.

So today, I made an attempt to create a Wordpress blog.  Well, I say attempt, but I did actually succeed in doing it, so I suppose 'attempt' is not particularly the correct word.  I actually created about four blogs successfully, and tinkered around with all the settings.  I was going to use it and transition my blog over to it.  There's even an import plug-in that I had installed, and I was able to import all of my posts from this blog over into that blog.  Unfortunately, the formatting of the text is not holding in the transition, and I'm ending up with posts that have the first paragraph in orange font and the rest of it in the native color of whatever template I'm using.  In addition to that, it seems that Wordpress really doesn't like blog posts that do not have a title, and you therefore cannot click on anything to go into the actual blog post and read it proper.  That would be much of a problem if the entire blog post was visible on the main page, but a lot of the templates that I like include automatic "breaks" in the post that require you to click on it to read the rest of the article.

So as it stands now, I'm not having much success with transitioning the blog into Wordpress.  It's a shame, really, because I really like Wordpress as a whole.  It's got a lot of interesting features that Blogger lacks, and it's actually quite a bit easier to install plug-ins.  There are other options for me, but I hesitate to use a blogger service that isn't in the top 5 providers.  I'd like to remain compatible and use something popular that is sure to have support and updates for a long time to come, rather than use some lesser known provider who may disappear or cease support in the coming year or so.

I will probably tinker around with it a bit more before I made a final decision on what I want to do.  Tally ho...

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...