Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Mollies. Mollies everywhere.

On Saturday, I noticed a little black dot swimming around in the aquarium and realized that we had baby Black Mollies.  By the end of the day, I counted four in total, which is about average for one female to have at once.  That was all well and good, and the little things were pretty damn fun to watch.  I expected them to have offspring eventually, but not that quickly.  I'm guessing they were already pregnant when we purchased them.

Cut to yesterday.  Now, I count at least 12 babies in the tank.  They're just everywhere.  Both of the females had to have had some at this point, because I've never had one Molly have that many babies. Black Mollies are rather large when they're born, when compared to other live-bearing tropical fish, so I can't see 12 of the suckers fitting in one of the females.  They weren't even that fat!

In any case, so now we have about a dozen (maybe more, who knows, the little buggers are hard to count) swimming around in the tank, and it's going to become a problem if they all end up surviving and growing to maturity.  That'll make 20 fish in that tank, which is....well, that is quite the even number and also the absolute max number that we would want to have in that aquarium.  (One gallon of water per fish is what we want, when dealing with fish of this size.  AKA small fish.)

So, my plan for getting some more guppies or even a pair of Angelfish is now moot as we wait and see what happens with all these Mollies.  I'm fine with that.  I like the idea of a tank full of them.  

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...