Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Me vs. Tire

It snowed last night.  It was snowing this morning when I left the house.  And it was still snowing when I was half-way to work and got a flat tire.

As you can imagine, I am not having the best of days thus far and it's only 8:30 AM.  I'll admit, I quite honestly contemplated driving the rest of the way to work on the faulty tire.  A stupid thought, I realize, but you have to understand that it was fucking cold, fucking snowing, and I was on a fucking freeway where people don't give two fucks about other people.  I knew that if I stopped to change that tire, my life would be in danger the entire time.  But sadly, I was only half-way to work and I could tell the tire was REALLY bad. So I had to do it.

Since the gods offer me no breaks on this fine day, naturally the flat was on the driver's side, and thus I had to change the tire on the traffic side of the vehicle.  I was able to pull off the road a rather comfortable amount, but I could be 50 feet away from that freeway and I would still fear for my life when people are driving past you at 80 MPH.  In the snow.

I had no choice in the matter.  By the time I was finished, my pants were soaked from the knees down, my hoodie was covered in dirt, my right hand was bleeding profusely in two places, and both my hands were so cold I could barely even move them any longer.  



But I hadn't been run over, and the tire was changed.  And like the trooper that I am, I continued on my way to work and got there only about 30 minutes late (but still an hour before I would even be considered "late").

So now, it's a matter of waiting for Danielle or Jeff to get here so I can head over to NTB and get a new set of rear tires.  I'm hoping that perhaps this day will cut me a break at last, and I'll be able to get the new tires today.  If not, then I'm going to have a new set of problems to deal with when 5:00 PM rolls around.  I'm 35 miles away from home and no one in my family knows the location of my office.  Simply put, I'm on my own.  But that's okay.  I'm used to it.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...