Friday, August 21, 2009

The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three

There was much more to enjoy in this second volume of The Dark Tower than there was in the first volume. A lot more. I found the first half enthralling -- the parts focusing on Roland drawing Eddie out of his world and into his own. I liked Eddie immediately, and I think this is because he seemed very real. I could relate to him very well. My only disappointment is that the relationship between him and Roland never got to the point where I would have liked to have had it. And I realize it never will. They grew to like each other, respect each other, but in the end Eddie is still expendible to Roland. He will never grow so attached to him that he would choose Eddie if given the choice betwen him and his Tower. Never. I know that now, even this early. It's very clear to me.

But I've also learned that it's not the ending that is important, but rather the journey it takes to get there. That is true for Roland and therefore I enjoy the story as it is. It's also true for me, and I should not focus on what I know will eventually happen. I should not long to finish the book. No, I should just enjoy reading it.

I started getting bored with the story when Odetta entered the plot. At first I didn't like this part. I felt that it was now interfering with the development of Eddie and of the Eddie/Roland relationship that I was enjoying so much. Suddenly that part of the story ended and it seemed quick. Over too soon. I wasn't ready to leave it alone yet. I struggled through that part of the book, and I'm glad I got through it. The story got good again soon. Very good, in fact. I still wasn't sure how I felt about the Odetta/Detta storyline, but the third door had me at my fullest attention. The end of the book was exciting and kept me enthralled once again. I could actually visualize the scene in my head when Susannah emerged from the two split personalities Odetta and Detta. It was very vivid to me and a superb piece of storytelling. By far my favorite part of the book, although Roland in the gun shop and pharmacy is a very, very close competitor to it.

And most important, once again, I was compelled to immediately pick up the third book and start reading it as soon as I finished the second, just as had happened with the second after I had finished the first.

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...