Monday, March 14, 2016

Old McDonald Had a Farm, Your Mother Sucks Cocks in Hell

I was attacked by four moths at once on level 19 of the mine and died.  I was then presented with a message that I must have "hit my head pretty hard" and therefore "forgot the last 9 levels of the mine".  This was the event that prompted me to uninstall Stardew Valley from my computer.  For one thing, I didn't hit my head.  I was attacked by four mother fucking moths at once, which was pretty fucking unfair.  And two, how the fuck did I forget 9 levels of a mine, but still remember my name, where my farm is, the names of all the people in the valley, and every other task I've ever done over the last 15 hours of game play?

I'm arguing semantics, of course.  This is simply a means of offering punishment for dying in the mine, and I'm complaining about it because I don't like it.  I do not play games that punish mistakes by deleting progress, so that is why I will never play this game again.  It got me thinking, though, because this is yet another game that a vast majority of people ADORE (no, really, check the Steam reviews.  98% of them are positive), and my opinion ended up being MEH.  This has been happening more and more as time goes by, and it makes me wonder if I'm just out-growing games in general.

It may just be the result of living an adult life.  My biggest complaint about Stardew Valley, before dying in the mine, was that it took too fucking long to get anything done.  In the words of Sweet Brown, ain't nobody got time for that.  This is a direct consequence of my adult life.  I don't have that kind of time any longer.  This isn't a fault of the game, but I'm not going to speak kindly of it, either.  If I feel like I'm not getting the best use out of my exceedingly precious spare time, my interest will quickly wane.  It's exceedingly apparent that I'm in the minority here, though.  Either no one in a similar situation as me plays these types of games, or there are way more people out there with too much time on their hands than I thought.

Either way, it's difficult to have to accept the fact that I will probably never again be in a position where I can enjoy games that I cannot pick up for 30 minutes and make meaningful progress.  And thinking about this makes me feel even worse, because then I start thinking, well, at least it's not cancer, flooding, pest invasions, or any of the other real, adult problems that seem to punch me in the fucking face every day of my life.  That really doesn't help.

It's a shame, because SV is such a quaint, charming little game.  I guess in the end, it just didn't have the focus that I'd expected.  I think I would have been much more inclined to stick with it if it had focused more on the farming and less on the wandering around gathering/adventuring.  I would have liked a farming game.  But, as adult life teaches you often, you rarely get what you want.  

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...