Monday, October 05, 2009

The Makings of a Bad Game

Seriously, what the fuck?  Am I missing something here? 

Either I just installed and played the most horrible construction of a game ever to take up space on my hard drive, or I just decided to start a new game too late in the evening on a Sunday night and really wasn’t in the correct mind-set to play it.  Or perhaps WoW really HAS ruined all fantasy-based games for me, and I will never be able to play another one ever again.

Either way, tonight I gave Risen a play test.  Do not consider this a proper review of the game, because I’ve only logged about two hours (at the most) into it so far.  Hardly enough time to get to know a fantasy-based RPG.  That being said, however, what the HELL is this? 

First off, the game starts out with you washing up on a island.  Gee, I’ve never seen THAT happen before.  My biggest complaint is that everything seems so imbalanced.  Right from the very first bird I beat to death with a stick, the game actually seems too hard.  It doesn’t make sense to me that with the very first thing I meet on the beach, one hit from my tree-branch club takes off only a sliver of its health, yet it hits me once and half my hitpoints are gone.  And that never changes.  It’s been like that the entire way through the game. 


I’m probably just being impatient with the whole thing.  We’ll see. 


Now playing: Institute - Information Age

No comments:

Hello!

Holy smokes.  The last post I wrote for this blog was on October 18, 2017.  Through the little more than  two years since, this blog has be...